Wednesday, March 28, 2018

21 Short Poems for the Gun


By
Hezy Leskly
(trans. Lisa Katz)

*

There is a gun in the closet.
There are many things in the closet.


*

An extremely small man
may ride on a gun
like a horse,
a black horse.

*

If a monster with seven heads
stood at the gate,
I would shoot without hesitation,
but the open gate
scares me.

*

The judge always acquits the gun.
Naïve judge.

*

I had an unforgettable face
and a white gun.

*

A gun isn’t a metaphor.

*

My uncle has two guns
My uncle has a basement in Givatayim
My uncle has a life.

*

My gun
loves people.

*

The bullet sings its little song
in the air, a simple song.

*

The contours of the gun are imaginary.

*

The song of the gun
is
a wordless song.

*

This time the gun is aimed at us.
At our live flesh.
At our beating arteries.
At our ridiculous faith in what is called life.
We say: a gun is absurd.
And we’re sure that by saying this sentence,
composed of four words,
we have undone the threat.

*

I hand out (cheap) pens, guns
and towels.
All are useful.

*
The guns sell out quickly in the stores.
The saleswomen are horrified.
This city stinks.

*

This gun makes a hole in my head.

*

It is possible to give up carrying guns
and writing poems.

*
A gun without questions.
A gun without answers.

*

It’s a pretty lie.
If you shoot it,
you will wipe out the lie,
and memorialize its beauty.
Such beauty will be an eternal witness
to your cruelty and good taste.

*

The hand shakes.
The hand smiles.

*

Tonight is the mouth of a gun
we stare into
dully and stupidly
after we are shot.

*

Lovely gun.


Credits:  "21 Short Poems for the Gun" was originally published in Hebrew and English in 2013 in Poetry International Web

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Grand

by Kathryn A. Kopple Jacek Yerka I am still a child without a piano. My sister is a piano without ever being a child. Without a piano, I wou...